Racing to the Finish Line
By Amanda Grover
I'm standing at the starting line, waiting for the shot.
My heart's beating faster, and in my throat it's caught.
There are girls all around me; they're sweating in the sun.
I crouch, ready for the shot; this is about to be fun.
There is smoke in the air, as the gun's finally fired,
and my feet pound the ground, but I don't feel tired.
The adrenaline rushes, and I feel so alive,
and nothing can touch me while speed's on my side.
I'm breathing harder now, as the wind rushes past,
and this girl's trying to pass me, but I go just as fast.
I glance at the crowd; Mom's on the edge of her seat.
But I won't let her down 'cause I won't be beat.
My legs feel heavy now, but I keep trudging on.
The pain will be worth it, if I can win for my Mom.
I sprint over the finish line and take a deep breath.
I've done what I came to do, and I gave it my best.
No comments:
Post a Comment